Site Navigation
  Beginner Skating Videos Competitions Tips
  Steps and Moves Jumps Spins News

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Ice Dance vs Freestyle

For the past few years, I have been doing solo dance and freestyle, sort of in parallel. There have been a few things I noticed

1. I cannot freestyle immediately after dancing.
For some reason, dance does something to the posture that doesn't gel well with freestyle. For me, it takes a good 1/2 hour to change mode.

2. It is not so conducive having the same coach for freestyle and dance.
Until last year, I had two different coaches - one for freestyle and another for dance. After my freestyle coach quit, I started also taking freestyle lessons with my dance coach. Consequently, the focus has shifted to be more freestyle-centric... I hardly dance these days!

3. Freestyle and dance seem to use different part of the feet!
I have had my new boots for 3 weeks, and though they did make my feet a little sore, it was ok after a week. However, these 3 weeks I have been doing freestyle, and this morning was the first time I did dance in the new boots. I didn't think much of it, but after two patterns of the Kilian my feet started to hurt so much it was unbearable. I had to get off and take off my boots! When I re-laced them, I made it less less tight, and it was better.
Corollary: Freestyle and dance require different boots, or at least different ways of lacing the boots!

I suppose I should add more as they come up...

No comments: