Site Navigation
  Beginner Skating Videos Competitions Tips
  Steps and Moves Jumps Spins News

Custom Search

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Loop Philosophy

After coaching today, I skated a little even though i have a crick on my R shoulder and my scrunchie wasn't tight enough to hold my hair up. Yes, I had to stop every 20 seconds to tie my hair again! How annoying!

Double loop is still waaaaaay under-rotated, but I achieved one thing - landing on the R toe and pulling out of it quickly - cheating it, in other words.

My philosophy for the loop as of today:

1. "ZEN" the jump entry. Basically, just wait on the RBO edge and relax until almost facing forward, then snap out of zen mode & into the jump. This may sound (incomprehensible/ ridiculous/ vague/ absurd/ insert your favorite word) and I most certainly won't teach it this way, but this helps me get the snap... it is something I also do for the Axel.

2. The loop is not really an edge jump! NO, don't argue, this is something I need my brain to internalise... if I think of it as an "edge" jump, I will literally fall waaaaaay onto the outside edge and never jump up.

3. Even though it takes off from the right foot (for CCW skaters) and needs to stay on the right side in backspin position, the right shoulder still needs to initiate the rotation. Impossible, you say? No, it is necessary!

4. To rotate the double, I need to pull in tighter and quicker.

5. Philosophising is one thing - actually doing it is another!

1 comment:

Keng said...

I agree with you on the "edge" thing and the "zen" point. I am still working very hard to make my single loop jump consistently. I am still not very good at finding the "zen" point.

If I "sit" onto the back outside edge too much, I can never rotate into a loop jump. I think the whole back outside edge step is a process of "rocking the blade". First, the body center is in the back of blade to stablize the trajectory but then one slowly move stoward the middle of the blade when the curvature of the trajectory increases. At the same time, one can't stay in the outside edge. The edge is changing into the inside. Before it becomes a real inside edge, one jumps.