Site Navigation
  Beginner Skating Videos Competitions Tips
  Steps and Moves Jumps Spins News

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Toe Loop Entry

There are two entries that are most often seen for the toe loop - one from an inside-3-turn (RFI3 for CCW skaters), and the other from a step onto the BO edge, commonly done with a preceding FO3 (for CCW skaters, LFO3-RBO).

I started with, and stuck to, the RFI3 entry. Indeed, at some point some coach had tried to convert me to the LFO3-RBO entry, but that was an absolute failure.

In recent years, I have taken to doing the split jump - toe loop in my program. I sort of like it better because it makes me more aware of keeping the free-leg stretched on the entry, and hence keeps the free leg from cross around too much for the pick.

So today, I was sort of surprised when one of the coaches told me that he feels that split jump - double toe is more difficult "because it curves too much"! "It is a different feel", he said. On further thought, I realised that he uses the "other entry" into the toe - that must be why it feels different!!

In any case, as long as my split jump - double toe continues to get more consistent, I'm sticking to it! I did land a couple of those this morning, albeit the landings weren't exactly pretty...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about doing it with a mohawk + step, rather than a LFO + step?

do you think it would be easier?

Chow said...

haha, i can't imagine a Mo + step being easier. then again, i never tried!